Sunday 10 October 2010

Day 14: Things to 'do' in... Bratislava

After finishing off the spend of my allocated florins, time to get the train to Bratislava.

I'm realising on this trip that it is obviously my partner who does most of the planning on holidays as I arrived into Bratislava station with just a map in my Rough Guide to Europe 1998 edition.

Tim would have printed off wikipedia entries, maps, or at least got me to get a guidebook.

But even without these sources of information I've struggled to spend any money today...

At Bratislava station I was delighted to realise they used the Euro and I had €20 in my wallet left from Vienna. Great I thought, let's limit spending to this.

If only it were that easy to spend money in Slovakia.

Bratislava castle is still bring restored (been happening since 1953 apparently). So no charge. Two postcards cost €1.60.

Cathedral is free. All museums shut as it's Sunday in this (apparently) very Catholic country.

Lunch... €3 for a coffee and a salmon sandwich. Free wifi included.

Still time to pass so after another walk around the historic quarter to check I hadn't missed anything, retreated to a pub for more free wifi and a very tasty dark beer (€1.60).

Salami baguette and litre of water at station for train to Prague was just €2.10

So a day out for under €10. Pretty good.

Finished the day in Prague with another exceedingly cheap beer and chance to put my feet up... This diplomatic mission sure is hard work on my feet if not my wallet!



______________________________
Sent from my iPhone, please excuse the typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment