Friday 8 October 2010

Day 12: The idiot strikes again

I have a love hate relationship with travelling. I love it, it conspires to bring out the worst in me.

Given that city breaks in the UK or Europe are an important bit of my life, it was only right that I attempt one during my cuts programme.

And just like the Government, I'm finding it tricky to find savings in my diplomatic budget!

My attempt was honourable... I selected a mini tour of East Europe (cheaper than usual haunts in Scandinavia by a significant percentage) and chose train over flying once I got to Vienna.

It was getting there that was the problem.

Flights (BA there, Whizz back from Prague) were chosen on a total cost (ie including full cost of getting to airport and check in fees, which ruled out Ryanair). So far so good... Some savings there.

But the bit of travelling which brings out the worst is packing... Or more accurately stuffing things into a bag and then realising too late I don't have something and having an unnecessary spend at the airport.

This time only stayed for 2 beers at a leaving do the night before, got home early and packed. Then went to bed early...

I woke up at 2am with one of those 'shit I forgot something' starts. My passport. "Should I get out of bed and put in my bag" I thought. "No," said my sleepy brain.

Up at 4... Get showered and get on bus to tube all going well, was set to get the cheap stopping train from Paddington when I realised... Shit I'd forgotten my passport.

Cursing the lazy part of myself that had slept rather than packing it, I spent £30 on a return taxi trip to Kentish Town. Arriving to make the 625am Heathrow Express (£22), my journey to the airport which was supposed to cost a tenner, cost five times that. But at least I made my plane so didn't have to spend another £300 changing my flights (given my partner was already waiting for me in Vienna, cancelling wasn't an option, unless I wanted a diplomatic crisis on my hands!

I'm an idiot... Will now have to find a way to make those savings from elsewhere in my planned diplomatic expenses...

No comments:

Post a Comment